For an enrollment packet, call 602-712-0500 or click here.
Admission of Homeless Students
In compliance with the Arizona State Laws and Arizona Administrative Code and the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, Edkey, Inc. – Children First Leadership Academy recognizes a homeless child or unaccompanied youth as an individual who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. Children First Leadership Academy must immediately enroll any homeless student, regardless of whether the student lives with the homeless parents or has been temporarily placed elsewhere. Homeless children and youth will not be stigmatized or segregated on the basis of their status of homelessness. Enrollment may not be denied or delayed due to the lack of any document normally required for enrollment, including;
- Proof of residency
- Transcripts/school records
- Immunization or immunization/health/medical records
- Proof of guardianship
- Birth certificate
Children First Leadership Academy will contact the student’s previous school to obtain school records. Initial placement of students whose records are not immediately available can be made based on the student’s age and information gathered from the student, parent, and previous schools. If the student needs to obtain immunizations or medical records, Children First Leadership Academy shall refer the parent or guardian of the student to the liaison for homeless children and unaccompanied youth, who shall assist in obtaining necessary immunizations or medical records.
Children First Leadership Academy will provide transportation to and from the school of origin.
Children First Leadership Academy’s Principal will designate an appropriate staff person as liaison for homeless students who will carry out duties as assigned. Among those duties will be the responsibility to coordinate activities and programs in the best interest of the homeless students which may include but not be limited to keeping a homeless student in the school of origin (to the extent feasible) except when doing so is contrary to the wishes of the student’s parents or guardian or the unaccompanied youth (a youth not in the custody of a parent or guardian).
In the case of an admission dispute:
- The student shall be immediately admitted to the Children First Leadership Academy pending resolution of the dispute.
- The parent or guardian of the student shall be provided with a written explanation of the Children First Leadership Academy’s decision regarding school selection or enrollment, including the rights of the parent, guardian, or student to appeal the decision.
- The student, parent, or guardian shall be referred to the liaison for homeless students, who shall carry out the dispute resolution process in accordance with the procedure found in the Arizona State Plan.
- In the case of an unaccompanied youth, the liaison for homeless students shall ensure that the student is immediately enrolled in school pending resolution of the dispute.
- Parents may appeal directly to the State Department of Education if in disagreement with schools ruling.
Homeless students are automatically eligible for Title I, Part A services.Children First Leadership Academy is part of Sequoia Ranch School and Edkey, Inc. a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.